Paperback and Ebook Formatting
I’m now formatting in Vellum and have adjusted my rates accordingly. All ebooks include mobi and epub files. Please also scroll to the bottom to see what information you need to send me as well as my policy on corrections.
NOTE: I give clients 7 days from receipt of the files to look them over. Within those 7 days, I’ll make any formatting corrections that need to be made free of charge. If the corrections were no fault of my own, like typos, there will be an additional charge to correct those regardless if it’s within the 7 day time frame.
*There is a $10 rush fee if you need any Vellum package done the same day you contact me.
Word Vella Episode(s)
- Right now, KDP is saying Vella Episodes have to be in Microsoft Word (DOC/DOCX) format. I can format each episode (up to 5K) – $9
- NOTE: At this time, the following formatting is not currently supported for Vella episodes: indented paragraphs, images, charts, tables, special characters, and emojis. KDP will remove paragraph indentations and add a line space between each paragraphs during publishing. This is information taken directly from KDP’s help page here.
Vellum Ebook/Paperback Basic Package
- If you want just basic formatting without any graphics. – $25
Vellum Ebook/Paperback Choices Package
- If you want choices in the “styles” I use in Vellum, and you already have the graphics you want to use for the chapters, scene breaks, and title page, this is the package for you. This means you send me the exact graphics you want me to use in your book for your formatting. – $35
Vellum Ebook/Paperback Star Package
- If you want me to find images for your chapter headers or scene breaks, I can search for those and help you decide what works best. This package also includes if you want a full image title page for your paperbacks. – $50
Vellum Ebook/Paperback Anthology
- Have an anthology you need formatted? This is the option for you! Vellum can do anthology formats with ease. With this package you can have a full page image title page with all of the authors names on it. If you have the title treatment available in as PNG by itself, that would work great. This package also allows you to pick out a single chapter image to use throughout the book and a single scene break image from DepositPhoto. – $55
Vellum Ebook Box Sets
- Please contact me about pricing for box sets (email@example.com). Pricing for a box set is all dependent on how many books are in the box set and the word count of the entire file.
InDesign Paperback (and Vellum ebook combo)
InDesign allows me to add graphics in places that Vellum might not. If you need something special done for paperbacks, then I’ll need to do it in InDesign. This program allows for a full bleed if you have graphics that go to the edge of the page. Pricing below lists just the paperback and then combo pricing beside it if you need ebook as well.
- KDP under 30K — $40 ($60 with InDesign PB and Vellum ebook)
- KDP under 70K — $50 ($70 with InDesign PB and Vellum ebook)
- KDP over 70K — $70 ($90 with InDesign PB and Vellum ebook)
- KDP over 120K — $90 ($110 with InDesign PB and Vellum ebook)
Corrections to formatting/typos
- Any corrections needed to formatting after the 7 day period or any typo corrections will incur a $1 per change charge with a minimum of $5. If you only have 1-5 changes, it’ll be $5. If you have 6 changes, then it’ll be $6.
WHAT I NEED FROM YOU…
Please check the list below to make sure you have everything. If you’re good, then please fill out this Formatting Questionnaire to better help me format your ebook/paperback. Please only fill this form out if you’ve spoken to me beforehand about formatting your book and I’ve put you on my schedule.
YOUR DOCUMENT: Does it have everything?
- Books also by Author section
- Blurb (if you want it in the interior of the book)
- About the Author
- You can send me a picture of yourself if you’d like that included on this page.
- Links to Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Website, Newsletter, etc.
- Please make sure the links are fully typed out.
- Ex. “Facebook: facebook.com/authorjlaslie” instead of “Facebook“.
- Landing page (link) to the series (no Amazon links).
- And last but not least, please make sure the file you send is the final file.
- I give clients 7 days from receipt of the files to look them over. Within those 7 days, I’ll make any formatting corrections that need to be made free of charge. If the corrections were no fault of my own, like typos, there will be an additional charge to correct those regardless if it’s within the 7 day time frame.
- EBOOK COVER: This is a must have (I don’t need the full wrap, even if I’m doing your paperback). Please also make sure it’s a larger sized file. Sometimes I have clients that sent me ebook covers that are super small and Vellum doesn’t like that.
- Optional Graphics: Please send any graphics needed as separate .png or .jpg attachments and mark them as whether they are for your chapter header, scene breaks, or title page. If you need to search for graphics you’d like me to use, please use DepositPhoto and send me links to the images in your email or the # associated with the image.
- Chapter Graphic (optional)
- Scene Divider (optional)
- Title Page Graphic (optional) – If you can get a PNG title page of the title of your book from your cover designer, please do! Some will do this free of charge. Others will charge you for it. I cannot guarantee that I can match fonts for the title page if you’re wanting something other than the generic title page Vellum has.
- Any other images you’d like included such as maps or family trees that are a part of the story. (optional)
- TRIM SIZE: If I’m formatting your book for paperback as well, I’ll need your trim size (ex. 6″ x 9″ -or- 5.25″ x 8″). Please include this information in your email when you send me your file. I do not need your full paperback wrap. You won’t get that from your cover designer until you get a page count from the PDF file I send you.